According to the American Lung Association, around 26 million Americans have Asthma, with around 7 million of those being children. There is no cure for Asthma, but there are many ways people can still get treatment to continue a normal lifestyle. Asthma is a long term lung disease. The airways in the lungs become swollen and inflamed causing the airways to tighten thus making it difficult to breathe. Many people have turned to natural and more cost effective ways of trying to treat it and some have turned to essential oils.
Essential Oils are nothing new but may be helpful with people who have asthma. The following oils have benefits which can help asthma:
- Peppermint: One of the most common causes of asthma attacks is the exposure to allergens that trigger the release of a compound called histamine. Peppermint can help to stop the release of histamine in the body. A substance called methanol is present in peppermint and can relieve stuffy or blocked noses, which can help people with asthma to breathe better.
- Lavender: It has natural sedative and anti-inflammatory characteristics that may help people with asthma fight inflammation.
- Eucalyptus: Research suggests that eucalyptus oil may have anti-inflammatory properties.
- Tea tree oil: This essential oil helps by reducing inflammation. In doing so, tea tree oil can help reduce the body’s allergic response.
- Roman chamomile: Another essential oil with anti-inflammatory properties. It can also help part of the lungs called the bronchus to relax as well as relieve coughing.